News & dates
Home Page/About us
LAST UPDATE JULY 2014
The country which is in Suffolk covers some 24 miles from Shadwell in the north to
Long Melford in the south, and about the same from Redgrave in the east to Denston
in the west.
Adjoining Hunts: to the west the Thurlow; to the south west the East Essex; and to
The south east the Essex & Suffolk.
The hunt is of very old establishment. The Duke of Grafton hunted a great part
country in about 1745. On the resignation of Mr E Walter Greene, in 1883, the
country was divided, the Newmarket and Thurlow being formed and taking the district
west of Denston, part of the old Thurlow Hunt , which they have since retained. In
Captain Wilfred Bevan presented the pack to the country. The hounds did not hunt
during the Second World War.
The Suffolk’s Hunt are out on Tuesdays and Saturday’s from early Autumn until the
of March each year.
The Suffolk Hunt is based at Gt Whelnetham and have hunted in that area since 1745,
over 260 years ago.